This course will be of particular benefit to aspiring, newly approved and established middle leaders in schools. It concentrates on what will be expected of them in terms of raising attainment.
This course is designed to address the key leadership issues that face subject leaders in secondary schools. The course will identify the components of a successful department and examines the nature of the leadership skills required to ensure success.
The ‘Leading an Effective Department’ course covers a number of areas and participants can buy into any or all of the sessions depending on their needs. Attendance at Session 1 however is essential as it will address some of the fundamental characteristics of successful departments.
This course lasts for 4 weeks, each session 4.00pm-6.00pm.
The following areas will be covered in the sessions:
• Your responsibilities as a subject leader
• Developing your vision for the department
• Developing strategies for ensuring the vision is met
• Effective line management of your staff
• Challenging and supporting your staff
• Developing a culture of rigour in the department
• Reflective practitioner approach to lesson observation feedback
• Leading successful meetings
• Holding difficult and challenging conversations